Friday, July 27, 2012

Project Runway: Candy Challenge

ATTENTION: Spoilers Ahead!
These designers are not making picking a favorite easy for me this season! I love that most of them are staying true to their own design aesthetics, even if they do not think it is the best decision for judging.

Heidi Klum, dressed in a plaid dress with an accent leopard print belt that I think looks a lot like one of the dresses I used in my "sneaker wedges" post, greeted the designers at the runway. Post introduction, the designers met up with Tim Gunn at Dylan's Candy Bar. By now the designers have put two-and-two together that this is the materials challenge, during which designers are required to make pieces out of not so ordinary materials such as candy.

"Evil" twin Gunnar
Photo: Lifetime Video Shot

As always the designers are given a time restraint and left in the work room to let their imaginations run wild. The rivalry between the "good" and "evil" twins, as referred to by contestant Christopher Palu, continues to fest as Gunnar Deatherage continues to believe Chris feels "threatened" by him.  After winning the first challenge, I honestly think Gunnar is the last thing on his mind.  This is such a difficult  contest to win, and you cannot get distracted by the pettiness of others.

Heidi says "Auf wiedersehen" to Lantie
Photo: Lifetime Video Shot

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when Heidi's debuted her second outfit on the runway.  A snakeskin sweatsuit.  While this outfit would have been great for movie night with your family, and we all dig a little snakeskin, let's stick to one accent piece that doesn't make us look sloppy, yes?

Melissa's Look
Photo: buddyTV
Photo: Huffington Post Video Shot

Do I think the right person went home this week? No, not necessarily.  I guess I was kind of expecting Elena to go home. I think her designs are old and used.  We already have designers who create pieces with sharp, bold edges.  Don't get me wrong black is my favorite color, there is no reason why you cannot create something that stays within the rules of the challenge and holds to your design aesthetic.  Melissa created an all black look out of licorice that looked almost identical to real leather as her model graced the runway.

Elena's Noodle Suit
Photo: Huffington Post Video Shot
Photo: Lifetime Video Shot

I wanted to give Lantie one more try. Although her outfit did not embrace the candy element to it's fullest potential, she did use candy and her design was wearable. She was one of the older contestants this season, and I really wish I could have gotten a chance to see more of what she could do with real materials.  Part of it could also be my vendetta against Elena. Elena seems rather bothered by the judges heavy critics, all of which excluding the fact that pina colada licorice keeps shedding from the dress. Michael Kors was right in saying that she presented herself in an arrogant way for being in the bottom three.  


Ven's Look
Photo: Lifetime Video Shot
Photo: buddyTV

Sonjia's Look
Photo: buddyTV
Photo: Lifetime Video Shot
I almost agreed with the top three contestants, Sonjia and Ven definitely deserved to be there.  Did you have to put Gunnar in the top three? I know he made his own accessories out of candy, but now we have to listen to even more ranting on his behalf. Instead of Gunnar being the third finalist, Alicia's candy take on over-alls or Dimitri's candy-beaded flapper dress could have easily snagged top spots. 


Alicia's Look
Photo: Huffington Post Video Shot
Photo: buddyTV

Dmitry's Look
Photo: buddyTV
Photo: Huffington Post Video Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment