Friday, July 20, 2012

Camp Bisco 2012: The Music

While it has been a nice 2 week vacation, it's time to get back to business. Now, while the essence of this blog is to bring you updates on the latest fashion trends, I want it to be more than that. The world of fashion is created not only by the articles of clothing on our backs, but by the events and people that inspire them. This past weekend (July 12-15) I attended my first Camp Bisco in Mariaville, NY. I had no idea going into this trip that it would leave me with memories and connections that will last a life time.

First thing is first, I want to give a shout out to our amazing neighbors for making this experience  priceless. To my girls from Florida/New York City, I am so glad we got to sit around roasting marshmallows and talking about fashion! Who our favorite designers of the moment are (such as Marc Jacobs and Prada), and who we think has gone a little overboard this season (sorry Michael Kors). Fashion really does bring people together! Warped Tour here we come :) Another shout out to our Grassroots Movement FAM from Massachusetts, I hope you all stay safe at Gathering of the Vibes this weekend!

Before I talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly fashion I saw at camp I want to talk about the music. Music is just as beautiful to me as fashion, and both have been a passion of mine from a young age. Going VIP to Camp Bisco XI allowed me and my fiance front row passes to some of our favorite artists. Sets we got to see included of course The Disco Biscuits, Skrillex, Amon Tobin ISAM, Bassnectar, Zeds Dead, Zedd, Porter Robinson, Dillon Francis, DJ Craze, Mimosa, Minnesota, Alvin Risk, Kill The Noise, Lotus, Dada Life, Big Gigantic, Daedelus, Break Science, The M Machine, Gigantic Underground Conspiracy, and Future Rock.

One DJ duo I was not excited to see was Zeds Dead. They were one of the first sets that we went to, and my fiance had to do some serious talking to get me go in the first place. I am so thankful for his persistance. While I have not been particularly fond of the music Zeds Dead has released in the past, their live set portrayed both a different sound and feel. Mixing both new and old tracks, you got the sense that this team is searching for something deeper in their sound, expanding outside of their usual element. My favorite song of the entire music festival ended up being their new, unreleased track "Cowboy". If you have not heard of Zeds Dead I strongly suggest checking out their latest remix of Colin Munroe ft Pusha T's "Fight of Your Life". Their new EP featuring "Cowboy" will be released this Tuesday July 24, 2012.

Zeds Dead Camp Bisco 2012
Out of the many labels who "curated" tents with their artists, Skrillex's label OWSLA far exceeded my expectations. As you can probably tell by the lists of sets I attended, many on this label were the first on my list to see, and the did not disappoint. Skrillex set the mood for the weekend Thursday evening with his sunSET, boasting high quality video screens, pyrotechnics, and fireworks that were timed flawlessly with his set. Closing out the first night of camp, post Skrillex, were Zedd and Porter Robinson. Both OWSLA artists played back to back sets, even throwing down together during some of their most popular tracks.

Zedd and Porter Robinson Camp Bisco 2012

Friday was a rather chill day full of jams. Most of the day was spent meandering, checking out artists' booths, and dropping by the mainstage to catch a few of our favorite tracks from artists such as Break Science and Lotus. The real wonder of the night was Amon Tobin ISAM. This Brazilian electronics musician, composer, and producer is considered to be one of the most influential electronic music artists in the world! The ISAM, Inverted Sounds Applied to Music,  project displays a visual presentation of Tobin's album. Whenever Amon Tobin brings this tour over to the states, His shows sell out in only a matter of seconds. If you have the opportunity to experience this true form of art, do not miss out!

Break Science Camp Bisco 2012

Amon Tobin ISAM Camp Bisco 2012

Minnesota started our Saturday with a set in the B.I.G Tent. A lesser known talent of the weekend, hence the early set time, this was one of my most anticipated sets. The lighting technicians in this tent deserved just as much recognition as the DJs performing their sets. The light shows in the B.I.G tent were being mixed live by CLVR ATL, a design, production, and creative events group from Atlanta. This group has been helping run Camp Bisco for the last 5 years, and this year performed custom light shows for every DJ who did not have equipment of their own.

CID Entertainment gave Bassnectar a killer time slot Saturday night, during which NO other artists were performing on any of the other four stages. Ironically, a faulty power supply cut Lorin off multiple times right at the drop momentarily throwing off the vibes in the crowd. Bassnectar fans stayed faithful and in the end the set was one that left everybody in the crowd enlightened. A-Trak closed out the night in the B.I.G tent, but we decided to be lazy VIP people (the walk to the other tent was quite the distance). Instead, we went to Gigantic Underground Conspiracy. This "super" jam bad includes members from The Disco Biscuits, Big Gigantic, Conspirator, and Underground Orchestra. The VIP tent was small, but packed a punch, with a full laser light show and no need for a fog machine. The band members played until they could play no more and we closed out camp with a sunrise.

Bassnectar Camp Bisco 2012

Gigantic Underground Conspiracy Camp Bisco 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment